Friday, April 3, 2009

Learning Curve

It has been a long time since I've updated this blog, and I have just been floating through life and struggling with the ups and downs of having children. I have had sick children off and on for what seems like forever and it has been hard to just be able to function at times. I'm hoping we are at the tail end of the sickness.

I have to admit that I feel like I have been a witch of a mom lately and have spent an awful lot of time getting frustrated or yelling at my children. Not exactly the joyful experience that I really want. In my frustration I decided that I needed to take control of my household and figure out how to better manage my children since I really was starting not to like myself in my witchy state. I think there have been a lot of family changes lately that have triggered some undesireable behaviors in my children--my husband is gone a LOT, and I'm pregnant.  The children have learned new ways to get away with things with an extra tired mommy. 

I checked out a book that someone recommended from the library called 1-2-3 Magic and today has been the first day we have tried implementing it. I haven't been a yelling mommy since one of the things the book teaches is to not get upset at the children, but remain calm and count their obnoxious behaviors and on the third count they get sent to timeout. My kids have been fairly well behaved today and we have had many enjoyable moments. This method must be working because my seven year old hates it and thinks we shouldn't do it anymore :)

I need to go find my house now since baby is down for a nap and my house needs some serious attention!

No comments:

Post a Comment